Friday, April 29, 2011

Day 119, April 29

The road we take to our church has a twenty-mile-an hour curve. On one side is a sharp drop-off. Naturally, we slow down and proceed at a safe speed. In the last years, life has thrown us some major curves, forcing us to, again, slow down, to navigate our way through them with care, caution, and prayer.

None of us are immune to the curves of life. How we accept the good and the bad largely defines what kind of people we are. I freely admit that I don't handle "the bad" very well. I whine. I complain. I cry. I get angry. When I've cycled through my litany of wondering "why me," I seek refuge in the Lord.

As I turn to Him, I wonder why I didn't do that in the first place. Why am I so stubborn, so willful, so prideful? Surely, at my age, I've learned a few lessons along the way. But I continue to repeat that self-defeating pattern.

I look at others who seem to have it all together, who accept the hard things in life with grace and dignity and humor and wish I could emulate them. They seem to have progressed to the graduate school of life while I remain in kindergarten. And then I realize that I have the choice, every day, to make the Lord my partner.

So, for today, I am grateful for that choice.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post Mom but I do think that we should all caution ourselves when looking at others, thinking that they have it all together.

    Looking to the Lord for a partnership is a wonderful thing and is what will help guide us through what can be troubled waters.

    Okay, I didn't mean to get all philosophical. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete