Thursday, April 28, 2011

Day 118, April 28

Yesterday my husband mowed the yard for the first time this season. I love the smell of freshly mown grass. I also love the look of the smoothly cropped yard, evening out the roughness of wayward weeds and coarse fescue that infest our Kentucky blue grass lawn.

However, mowing the grass does not remove those pesky weeds, dandelions, and saw grass. It only cuts them back for a short while. Then the process must be repeated. Only digging them out will result in a weed-free yard. Even then, unless you are fortunate enough to get the culprit by the roots, it will likely reappear.

The procedure reminds me of digging out weeds in my soul. I can bury them. I can pretend they don't exist. I can gloss them over. Unless, however, I yank them out by the roots, they will come back, stronger and more tenacious than ever.

How do we handle these weeds, more pernicious than any that infect our lawns? Prayer. A desire to change. More prayer. A willingness to humble ourselves before the Lord. And yet more prayer. The Father has provided the tools. It is up to us to use them.

So, for today, I am grateful for tools to dig out the weeds in my yard ... and in my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment