Friday, April 1, 2011

Day 91, April 1

Yesterday I was fired up about something and sent off a letter-to-the-editor to our local paper. Too frequently, I take for granted the freedom that allows me to express my opinion in such a public forum, a freedom that is denied to many people of the world. The Founding Fathers wisely included this freedom in writing the Constitution. This inspired document stands as a beacon of light and truth, not just to the United States of America but to nations everywhere. The Constitution guarantees this and other freedoms, but it is the men and women of America's armed services who protect it. I came of age during the Viet Nam era, during the protests, the flag burnings, the draft dodging. I never understood the scorn directed at those who so bravely served our country. Instead, they had my admiration, my respect, my gratitude ... and they still do. "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell. So, for today, I am grateful for the American soldier.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Jane. I'm going to forward your blog link to my family in the military.

    ReplyDelete