Saturday, April 2, 2011

Day 92, April 2

We live in an ungracious world. While technology soars, manners have taken a nosedive. Good manners go far beyond simply holding the door for someone else. They help define who and what we are. Yesterday I received two thank-you notes in the mail, one from a friend and one from my son-in-law. Both graciously thanked me for a favor. I was impressed, not only with the sentiments expressed but that the individuals had taken the time to choose a card, handwrite a note, and then mail it. Recently, in an etiquette column, I read a letter from a bride's mother asking a "manners guru" if it were all right if her daughter simply emailed a blanket thank-you to the guests for their gifts. Clearly expecting agreement, the mother eschewed the idea of sending out thank-you notes, claiming them to be old-fashioned, time-consuming, and expensive. The columnist disappointed her by saying that good manners were never out of style. This example is a microcosm of the laziness and carelessness of our society. If we do not care about the small things, how can we expect ourselves and others to care about the larger, more important ones? Every morning I kneel at my bedside and pray. This morning, I noticed that my prayer contained many more "I wants" and "I needs" than "Thank-yous." This lack of acknowledgement of my blessings shamed me, and I resolved to do better. Perhaps, I reasoned, if my prayers were more filled with more gratitude and graciousness, I would extend the same to my family and friends. So, for today, I am grateful for those individuals who remind me that good manners matter.

2 comments:

  1. But Jane, where does that leave me if you are the one who reminds me frequently through your actions that good manners matter?

    People matter more than things, but things have changed, and now things demand our attention more than people. Or has it always been a challenge, and our society is just not rising to it right now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh geez, now I feel like dirt. You're right - emailing thanks and such are bad manners.

    ReplyDelete