Friday, April 15, 2011

Day 105, April 15

In earlier postings, I've written about rejection. Most writers face rejection again and again. Rejection is not limited to writers, though. We all face rejection over the years. If not, then we're probably not doing much of anything. Have you ever had a child tell you, "I hate you?" That's rejection. I collect rejection slips like some people collect dolls. I don't do it deliberately, though it may seem so. I keep submitting stories and articles and, and the rejections keep coming. Now they come more faster through the wonders of email. Let me share with you some others who have faced rejection. See if you recognize these names. Mary Higgins Clark was rejected 40 times before selling her first story. Fifteen publishers and 30 agents told John Grisham "No" on his first novel, A TIME TO KILL. Dr. Seuss's first book, AND TO THINK I SAW IT ON MULBERRY STREET, garnered 27 rejecctions before being published. Louis L'Amour, who penned more than 100 westerns, many made into movies, received 350 rejections before selling his first book. Author of EXODUS, Leon Uris failed high school English three times. The stories are legion of writers, actors, and others who found success after first being rejected over and over. So, for today, I am grateful for people who refuse to give up.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, rejection is a harsh thing but I suppose a necessary thing, if only in small doses. I had no idea that those people were rejected so much before their first big success.

    I too am also glad for people who don't give up.

    ReplyDelete