Thursday, October 11, 2012

Day 280, October 11

"I don't ask for the meaning of the song of a bird or the rising of the sun on a misty morning.  There they are, and they are beautiful."-- Pete Hamill

In our high tech world, we tend to look for the whys and the hows.  We want to know why something happens, how it works.  We want to know the mechanics of it; we want to figure it out.  Less often, though, do we seek to simply accept it.

I try to walk every morning.  Our Colorado scenery is worthy of any painting by the Great Masters.  The vibrancy of autumn, gaudy with colors that only God can create, surrounds me.  And, for those few minutes, I simply accept.  I accept the beauty of the turning of the leaves.  I accept the bite of the crisp air.  I accept the faint aroma of a wood-burning stove.

Left behind are my computer, the television, the cell phone, and all the other trappings of modern life which we feel necessary for survival.  There is only me and a quiet wonder in our world.

This I know for sure:  without this wonder, we are in danger of losing ourselves.

1 comment:

  1. Just a few moments alone with the wonder of God's creation provokes a deep desire to create something of beauty myself. My own efforts bear no resemblance in form, majesty, or impact to the original, but it just feels good to be inspired and then create.

    ReplyDelete