Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Day 299, October 30

Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible.

Doris Lessing

If you're at all like me, you have reasons why you can't do something right now.  I have reasons why I can't exercise right now--it's too cold to walk outside, it's too hot to walk outside, I have to finish a writing project, and so on.  I also have reasons why I can't write right now--I'm suffering from writer's block, I'm too depressed, I have to clean the house (really?), I have to watch at TV program.  I have reasons why I can't help someone else right now--I'm too busy, I'm too tired, I'm too selfish.  There are always, ALWAYS, reasons why we can't do something.  As Lessing says, "the conditions are always impossible."

I look back to Larry's and my early married years and marvel that we chose to have children when we did.  The reasons why we shouldn't have children were numerous.  Larry was still in school.  We had no money.  We had a tiny apartment.  We were just getting to know each other.  And, with every child, the conditions didn't improve.  We still had no money.  We discovered that pregnancy triggered violent depressions in me.   And so on.

Still, we decided we needed, wanted, to have more children.  The conditions remained impossible, but, with the Lord's blessings, we persevered.

This I know for sure:  Satan will give us reasons not to do something.  The Lord will wipe away those reasons with His love.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this quote is so true. Conditions always are impossible. I'm thinking that what we call excuses are really reasons that someone else didn't find to be valid.

    ReplyDelete