Thursday, October 25, 2012

Day 294, October 25

"Write in your heart that every day is the best day of the year."--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Have you ever been guilty of thinking "If I can just get through this day, this week, or this month, I'll be happy?" I have. As a young mother, I used to think, "As soon as the last one is out of diapers, I can start doing thing (anything).." Or "As soon as the last one is in school, I can take a breath of relief." When a family member was going through chemo treatments, I thought, "As soon as she gets through the last treatment, I can be happy."

The fallacy with this kind of thinking is that there is always, ALWAYS, something to be gotten through, something to be endured, something to survive. If we postpone our happiness with the idea that life will settle down, that life will get better, that life will be wonderful only when a certain problem is resolved or a certain situation is overcome, we will be forever postponing happiness. And, in the meantime, we will miss out on a great deal of joy.

This I know for sure: the time to live life, the time to be happy is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment