Friday, October 19, 2012

Day 288, October 19

Yesterday I wrote about kindness, a recurring theme of this blog.  I decided I needed to put my money where my mouth  is and followed through on a project I've been thinking about:  sending holiday cards to those in our armed services.  For those who are regular readers of this blog, it will not come as a surprise to find that my Aunt Mae told me about this.   (BTW, Aunt Mae, 88, sent out 100 cards.)

It's ridiculously simple:  write a brief note of thanks or cheer, address it to "Dear serviceperson," and mail to the address below:

Holiday Mail for Heroes
PO Box 5456
Capitol Heights, MD  20791-5456

If you write a batch of cards, put them in a large envelope    The Red Cross will take care of distributing them.  There is no need to stamp the cards.  The Red Cross vets the cards, checking for harmful substances that may have been included.  Thank you for considering this.

This I know for sure:  those who defend and protect out nation deserve our recognition and appreciation.







No comments:

Post a Comment