Saturday, October 20, 2012

Day 289, October 20

"One of the hardest lessons we have to learn in this life  and one that many persons never learn, is to see the divine, the celestial, the pure, in the common, the near at hand--to see that heaven lies about us here in this world."--John Burroughs

The author has captured my failure with unflinching accuracy, for I frequently do not see the "divine, the celestial, the pure" in my present world.  And I realize that that lack is in me.  It is not that the world fails to offer these God-like qualities, but that I, in my spiritually infantile state, do not recognize or cognize them.

Do I look at a rose and see the perfection and symetry in the pattern of its petals?  Do I pick up a fallen leaf and examine the intricate veining of it?  Do I hear the purity of a child's voice when lifted in song? 

Somedays, less often than I would like, I take the time to appreciate these small but profound beauties.  More often, I ignore them, occupied with the busy-ness of life.

This I know for sure:  we see that to which are hearts are attuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment