Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Day 285, October 16

Do your little bit of good where you are; it's those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.

Desmond Tutu

In previous posts, I've written about the big effects that little acts can have.  If you're at all like me, you may grow discouraged when you observe so much need in the world.  Children go hungry.  Helpless animals are abused and neglected.  Pollution of our water and air is rampant.  And a myriad of other ills plague our world.

What can I do, I ask myself?  What can I do to help?  The truth is, I cannot cure any of these.  Does that, however, excuse me from doing nothing?  Absolutely not. 

So, what can I do?  I can pray for those who are suffering.  I can serve in my church.  I can listen to a friend who is troubled.  I can contribute, with my means and my time, to worthwhile causes, in the community. 

This I know for sure:  that I cannot do everything is no excuse for doing nothing.

2 comments:

  1. I love your last line. So very true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is, however, a convenient tool for the adversary to use in discouraging us. The antidote to this particular discouragement is t remember the truth of what we are supposed to do. (Hint: it's not everything!)

    ReplyDelete