Sunday, October 28, 2012

Day 297, October 28

I usually think of myself as a fairly compassionate person.  However, there is one person to whom my compassion frequently fails to extend:  myself.

I fall into a vortex of negative self-talk, saying things to myself that I would never say to someone else.  If I fail to complete a task, I call myself lazy, a slug, a slacker.  If I don't do something well, other names come up:  stupid, untalented.  And so it continues.  Sometimes these words become a self-fulfilling prophecy and I end up being the very things I abhore.

I have a feeling that I'm not alone in this downward spiral.  It often seems to be women who suffer from this nasty disease the most.  What, I wonder, have I taught my daughters by my putting down of myself.  What example have I displayed for other women?   My mind knows that this isn't healthy.  More, my heart knows that this isn't the Father's plan for me, one of His daughters.

This I know for sure:  the Father loves all of His children.  Even me.

1 comment:

  1. Remember these words that you've written when you are feeling bad.

    And yes, we are all children of our Heavenly Father. He doesn't think of us this way and neither should we.

    ReplyDelete