Friday, February 4, 2011

Day 35, February 4

Those who know me well know that I love to go sailing. Garage sailing, that is. I also love to go thrifting, haunting thrift stores and consignment stores for forgotten treasures. Among the things I look for are stray china plates, those orphaned from their original set.

On these plates, I place cookies or other treats to take to friends, church members, families with a new baby or those going through a difficult time. I ask that the recipients not return the plate and suggest that they fill it and pass it along.

I have been intrigued with the idea of "passing it along" far before the movie PAY IT FORWARD or the random acts of kindness movement made their appearance. Could I change the world, one small act at a time?

In a moment of self-examination, I reviewed the past week. A sweet friend sent me a no-occasion card. This prompted me to send a card to another friend. A second friend called me up for no reason, which, in turn, encouraged me to visit someone else.

This concept is certainly not new. Christ taught the concept two thousand years ago.

My reflections yielded two conclusions: I cannot change the world. I can, however, make my little part of the world better if I but care to look for the secret sorrows that inhabit the hearts of everyone.

So, for today, I am grateful for stray china plates ... and stray acts of kindness.

2 comments:

  1. Jane, how wonderful! I shall adopt your china plate pass along idea--and think of you during the delightful process. BTY, John says he's "as impressed with your idea" as I. :) Have a gratitude filled weekend and hugs from here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog today!- thnks to CBI. Love your idea!

    ReplyDelete