Monday, February 14, 2011

Day 45, February 14

Many believe that Valentine's Day is a ploy foisted upon us by the greeting card companies. Perhaps because I am a hopeless romantic or perhaps because I write romance novels, I prefer to believe differently.

The French poet Pierre Reverdy wrote, "There is no love. There are only proofs of love." Upon first reading that, I struggled with the concept. Surely the people I love know of my feelings for them. Could they not see it? Further contemplation yielded an unequivocal truth: How can anyone know of my love unless I show it? Merely feeling it is not enough.

In writing workshops, we learn to use strong verbs. I believe the same is true for love. To show love, use strong verbs. Hug. Give. Uplift. Serve.

Can a hug change a person's day? Scientists have documented the importance of touch. Without it, babies fail to thrive and wither. The same applies for everyone. We all need the healing power of touch.

What else can I do to show my love? Can I give more of myself? Can I uplift others? Can I serve more? Of course. Of course. Of course. Then comes the big question. How? How do I give, uplift, serve? By bearing others' burdens. I can do that by looking not just with my eyes but with my heart.

I have been the recipient of many acts of love. A card in the mail. A sincerely given compliment. A hug from a friend when I am feeling low.

So, for today, I am grateful for Valentine's Day as a reminder to not only feel love, but to show it.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Valentine's Day, Jane. I respect, admire, and love you each and every day.

    ReplyDelete