Sunday, February 6, 2011

Day 37, February 6

Yesterday my husband and I awoke to plumbing problems in the downstairs bathroom. I won't go into the gory details. Suffice it to say that plumbing problems are always inconvenient, disgustingly messy, and frequently expensive. (Why couldn't I have married a plumber?) With some muttering, we dealt with it as best we could.

I can hear you wondering, Is she going to say that she's grateful for a backed-up drain? Absolutely not.

Recently, I've had to stand by and watch loved ones endure painful events--health problems, divorce, and other challenges. While trying to help when I could and crying with them, I could not take away their grief, their fear, their heartache. My sense of helplesssness was exceeded only by my prayers in their behalf.

My heart wept for my friends, my family. Inconvenience, mess, and expense do not compare to witnessing the pain of family and friends. My prayers turned to begging my Father in Heaven for solace for His children.

So, for today, I am grateful for a reminder of what is important ... and what is not.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for once again reminding me how important it is to keep everything in its proper perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do have trouble with thinking that urgent things are important things. Blocked-up drains sure feel important at the time, but the week after, the incident is (mercifully) largely forgotten. Thanks for the perspective. I'll try to hold on to it a bit longer this time!

    ReplyDelete