Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day 55, February 24

I spent the last week in Utah visiting with my sister. While there, I helped tend her three-year-old granddaughter, Lily. Lily delighted me with her imagination, exhausted me with her energy, and filled me with awe over her total ability to wring joy from every moment.

That is not to say that she is not without her sad times. She can be a drama queen at times, but she quickly recovers. She lives completely in the present. How much time have I wasted because I live in the past, regretting poor choices, holding onto old grudges? Similarly, how much time have I wasted because I project into the future, worrying over what might happen?

Certainly, we must learn from past mistakes. To do less would be foolhardy. We must also think about the future. But neither of these should prevent us from living now.

Finding joy in the present in not always an easy task. When health and financial worries threaten to overwhelm me, I slide into gnashing-my-teeth mode. When family problems cause my heart to weep, I cannot help but wonder what the future will bring for those I love.

Life is hard, but every day brings pops of joy and bursts of laughter, opportunities to serve and people to love. Lily, with three-year-old innocence and wisdom, reminds me to look for those pockets of happiness.

So, for today, I am grateful for the example of a three-year-old.

1 comment:

  1. I'm trying to be more grateful for the example of my 2-year-old. Sometimes it's hard, like when she gets into my room. Again. And again. And. . . you get the idea. Then she jumps around and makes the baby laugh. Priceless.

    ReplyDelete