Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Day 54, February 23

I feel I should preface this entry by apologizing for returning to a recurring theme: that of creativity. Today is George Frideric Handel's birthday. Though he was born over 300 years ago, Handel continues to live through his music.

Handel wrote dozens of operas, arias, and other compositions. However, one stands out as his masterpiece: Messiah. Sometimes incorrectly referred to as The Messiah, Messiah has touched and continues to touch millions of people.

In 1741, Handel was destitute, deeply in debt, and severely depressed. Some spark inside him, though, moved him to write what would become his most enduring legacy, not just to the world of music but to all mankind.

Was it the text he chose, largely drawn from the Book of Isaiah? Was it the music that repeated through his mind with ever-increasing intensity? Or was it that he received divine inspiration to blend the powerful words with the equally powerful music?

I like to believe that it was all three. Could Handel have created such beauty without divine help?

It set me to thinking about my own feeble attempts at creating. When I turn to the Lord for His help, I feel the words flowing with an ease that amazes me. When I ignore Him, my mind--and heart--are stalled.

So, for today, I am grateful for Handel ... and for the spark of creativity that resides in all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment