Thursday, February 10, 2011

Day 41, February 10

Like Moses of Biblical times, I am "slow of speech." When the public speaking genes were passed out in heaven, I'm certain I was off reading a book or attending a garage sale. I have no eloquent words, no powerful way of expressing myself. My voice is on the soft side and tends to get shaky at the mere thought of speaking in public. Angry storks, not gentle butterflies, fill my stomach.

For the most part, I accept that, just as I've accepted other limitations. That is not complacency but, rather, awareness of what I can and what I can't do.

My husband Larry is a gifted public speaker. He possesses a command of the language and a flair for getting his thoughts across that continue to amaze me. We occasionally tease each other that he is the speaker and I am the listener in the family.

It hit me then: My gift is listening. Whether in a congregation or workshop or one-on-one with a friend, I am a good listener. Just as I am an appreciative audience of musical perforomances, I am also an appreciative listener.

My ruminations led to another idea. What if I brought my heart as well as my ears to the art of listening? Would the experience of listening to a speech or a cantata not be richer? Would I not be of more service if I listened to the meaning, the sorrow behind a friend's words?

So, for today, I am grateful for hearing ears and a listening heart.

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of a talk by President Eyring where he says that how a gift is received is just as important as how the gift is given. In fact, receiving a gift well can magnify the original gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very thankful for your ability to listen and to be a friend. It has seen me through many a plight over the years.

    ReplyDelete