Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Day 40, February 9

In re-reading earlier postings, I realized that several topics have made repeated appearances, among them quilts and friends. Why my fascination with these subjects, I wondered. As I examined them, I found that I was intrigued by the diversity in the quilts, and in friends.

The quilts my mother gave me are made of different fabrics, different patterns. The stitching varies from quilt to quilt, even square to square, as various people sat and quilted over cups of tea and gossip. There is a Nine-Square, a Sunbonnet Girl, a Woman with Parasol, and others. Each is beautiful in its own way.

In the same way, my friends are made of different fabrics, different patterns. One friend writes exquisite poetry, weaving beauty with every word. Another excells in all things musical, playing the piano, organ, flute, composing songs, and working as a music therapist for Hospice. Still another finds joy in creating one-of-a-kind scrapbook pages and greeting cards. One friend writes inspirational romance novels, touching the heart and soul of all those who read her words. A friend and cousin writes cookbooks, flavoring recipes with family stories and history.

My friends put me in mind of a flower garden, each bringing a different color, a different scent to the whole: pansies and roses, tulips and daffodils, lilies and violets.

So, for today, I am grateful for that which is unique ... in quilts and in friends.

1 comment:

  1. Have you noticed another theme? There is a love of creativity in general. Writing, music, stitchery, cooking. It doesn't surprise me that one who loves creativity loves the Creator so much.

    ReplyDelete