Friday, February 18, 2011

Day 49, February 18

Yesterday I put forth the idea that life is made up of a series of small moments, small deeds, small acts. Those bits and scraps of living, like a patchwork quilt, create a beautiful whole. One of my friends said her life was a crazy quilt. I like that: a crazy quilt of life.

What gives meaning to our days? For me, it is the unexpected things that bring pops of joy. In no particular order or importance, I'll list a few:

We live in Loveland, Colorado, nestled at the foothills of the Rockies. Occasionally a small herd of elk will follow the river into town. Spying these magnificent creatures always fills me with awe.

A short while ago, I received a call from a friend who had moved away many years ago. Though we hadn't talked in years, I recognized her voice immediately. We caught up with each other's life and shared memories from twenty and more years ago.

My husband gave me a Wii for Christmas. I didn't know how much fun I would have with it until my grandchildren spent the weekend and played it with me. They laughed over Grandma's ineptitude and cheered me on, even creating a Grandma Mii figure.

These are but a few of the things that bring color and sound and wonder into my life. You will have your own.

A Hollywood A-lister has repeatedly made the news. Stories of his drinking and addiction abound in the media. This actor has everything the world tells us is important: good looks, fame, a glamorous career, millions, if not billions, of dollars. Yet I wonder if he is happy. If all of these worldly trappings were to be taken away, would he find any pockets of happiness in his life? Somehow, I doubt it.

So, for today, I am grateful for small joys, small pleasures, small moments that make up the quilt of my life.

1 comment:

  1. I hate to disagree with you, Jane. But I do think that he would find some pockets of happiness. He may have to look long and hard, especially since they probably wouldn't be where he expected them to be. I believe that our loving Father in Heaven sprinkles happiness in our lives. It's there, every day. Some of us just find it harder to see, or we choose to try to find happiness elsewhere. Finding one of those pockets and holding on to it can change lives. So here's to keeping my hands in my pockets!

    ReplyDelete