Thursday, February 17, 2011

Day 48, February 17

When I started this project, I questioned if I would have the stamina, fortitude, and energy to carry through with it. Thanks to those of you who have offered encouragement and support, I am continuing. Your thoughtful comments, both on the official blog site and directed to me personally, have given me the determination to keep writing.

My subjects have largely been prosaic, comprising the bits and pieces of daily life. My life, and, I suspect, that of most of us, is not made up of heroic deeds, grand gestures, or momentous events, but, rather, is a patchwork of small acts--reading to a grandchild, doing the laundry, laughing with friends.

Sometimes I doubted whether writing about such things would touch others, would make a difference to anyone. Your kind words have made me think that perhaps I am on the right track.

One of my favorite hymns contains the words "... kind words are sweet tones of the heart." What a lovely metaphor. Who does not need more "sweet tones of the heart" in their life?

I know a few unfortunate individuals who dispense kind words with stingy hands and selfish hearts, hoarding them as a miser would his gold. They find no joy in offering praise to others and are, therefore, unhappy with themselves. What misery they must reside in.

So, for today, I am grateful for kind words ... and for those who utter them.

1 comment:

  1. Remember, by small and simple things are great things brought to pass. Your "small" acts are what constitutes the nurturing of others. And that is huge.

    ReplyDelete