Saturday, February 26, 2011

Day 57, February 26

Winter in Colorado is a fickle creature. Temperatures can reach into the sixties on one day and plummet to below zero the next. A down parka may be needed in the morning while shirtsleeves are right for the afternoon. As I say to my husband, "Colorado weather changes faster than a teenage girl's moods."

Before our last snow, I spied specks of green against the chocolate brown of the dormant flower beds. Further inspection revealed that shoots of spring flowers were pushing their way up through the ground.

To appreciate the miracle of this, you need to understand that our dirt is not the rich soil of which gardeners dream. It is cement-hard clay. Despite having manure, top soil, and compost mixed with it, this dirt resists all our attempts to soften it. For tender shoots to push through it takes stunning audacity, yet they persist.

Family members and dear friends are even now pushing their way through the hard dirt of life. They face health problems, unemployment, and other challenges. Like the first signs of green in a garden, they find the grit to force their way through the hoary frosts of winter. They move forward with courage, determination, and, most importantly, faith.

So, for today, I am grateful for the first shoots of spring that defy winter ... and people who do the same.

2 comments:

  1. As much as I enjoy having four distinct seasons, there's nothing that boosts my spirits more than seeing those first shoots from the spring bulbs. My crocuses have been blooming for a couple weeks now, despite the occasional snow that has buried them. Their tenacity is truly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I love to see tulips coming up from the ground. I'm happy that the sun is shining today.

    ReplyDelete