Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day 39, February 8

Two days ago, I wrote about the plumbing problems in our basement. After trying to deal with it ourselves, my husband and I finally called a plumber. Two men arrrived and, within forty-five minutes, had snaked the drain and cleared the blockage. Once again, we had sinks that worked, good water pressure, and a bathroom floor not covered with guck.

I marveled at the men's efficiency and the seeming ease with which they dispatched the problem. I still can't bring myself to be grateful for plumbing disasters, but I am grateful for people who possess the skills and know-how to take care of them.

Everyday, our lives are filled with men and women who serve us. Plumbers, mechanics, bankers, contractors, lawyers, doctors--each brings expertise to make my life easier and more managable. How many times have I said "Thank-you" to any of these people? Too infrequently, I'm afraid.

Certainly, we pay others for their services. That is only right and proper. "A laborer is worthy of his hire." Still, they deserve my thanks, my acknowlegment of their efforts and skill.

So, for today, I am grateful for plumbers.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, and I agree again. I sheepishly would like to be grateful for not needing to call the plumber in the first place!

    ReplyDelete