Friday, March 8, 2013

Day 67, March 8

It was on March 8, 1884 that Susan B. Anthony addressed the U.S. House Judiciary Committee arguing for an amendment to the U.S. Constitution granting women the right to vote.  This argument came 16 years after legislators had first introduced a federal women's suffrage amendment.  But it was not until 1919 that the 19th Admendment was added to the Constitution.

Wyoming was the first state to grant women the right to vote.  Colorado, Utah, and Idaho quickly  followed.  (I take pride in the fact that these states had a large Mormon population.)

Today, women take for granted their right to vote and may forget that it was not always this way.  During the last election, my husband and I were at the polls the first thing in the morning.  In fact, one of the volunteers said that we were the very first in our precinct to vote.  I would never let this opportunity pass by.  I would never forgo my right to have a say in who is governing our nation and how it is governed.

So, for today, I am grateful for Susan B. Anthony and all the women who sacrificed to making voting possible for women.

No comments:

Post a Comment