Monday, March 11, 2013

Day 70, March 11

Recently, our Relief Society (the Mormon church's women's organization) had a workshop on visiting teaching.  (For those of you who aren't Mormon, visiting teaching is where two women visit several other women each month, offering encouragement and lessons on the gospel.)

I love visiting teaching.  I have since I first left home and attended college at BYU, where I was assigned to be a visiting teacher to other coeds.  We learned about each other.  We laughed together.

More than forty years later (oooh, that hurts to write), I'm still in love with visiting teaching.  Through it, I've made wonderful friends, friends I may not have met had it not been for visiting teaching.  I've helped sisters with babysitting, meals, and, driving them to cancer treatment appointments.

My visiting teachers have helped me as well.  They tended me through the hectic weeks after the birth of babies.  They tended to my family while I was away tending to my parents when my mother was dying.  They tended to my heart.

So, for today, I am grateful for visiting teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment