Sunday, September 8, 2013

Day 253, September 8

Patience is the virtue that keeps the other ones going. It's the oil in the car of compassion. The yeast in the dough of kindness. And I can't imagine it being more entangled with forgiveness than it is. -- Kelly Minter

The writer in me loves the metaphors in this quote.  "Patience ... the oil in the car of compassion."  "Patience ... the yeast in the dough of kindness." 

More, I love the reminder that we all need patience.  Most especially, we need it with ourselves.  I am never more impatient than I am with myself.  I rarely give myself a break, constantly bringing up my past failures, my current failures, my predicted future failures.  I'm just downright mean to myself sometimes.  Why is it easier to extend compassion and kindness and patience to others?

So, for today, I am grateful for the reminder to be patient, with myself, with others.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, we need it, and we have the opportunity to knead it. Like yeast in bread dough, it takes work to get it into all parts of our lives. And it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete