Monday, September 9, 2013

Day 254, September 9

Those who know me well know that I love history, especially personal histories of ancestors.  Following is an except from one of my ancestors, Lucy Ashby Clark: (I've divided it over several posts as it is a bit lengthy.)

"I, Mrs.Lucy Ashby Clark, was born December 14, 1818.  I was the youngest daughter of William Ashby and Elizabeth Grimsdale.  I was born in Millend, England.  I attended school until I was thirteen years old, when my mother died in in 1831.  I kept house at home until 1833, then I went to learn dressmaking at Rickmunsworth.  Was there until 1835, then after, left and went to live with a lady by the name of Sanlers at London.  I was there 18 months, then left and went to Staffordshire as a lady's maid to a Lady Arden Travill.  Was with her six months then went home again for 2 years and kept house for my father and brothers then went again to Staffordshire.

"I lived with a Lady Walton as lady's maid.  There I met Edward Watkin Clark, son of James and Phebe Clark.  He paid his addresses to me about two years, then we were married July 25, 1843.  We lived in Wolverhampton.  My husband was a carpenter.  He worked at his trade until 1847, then we sold our effects and started up in London with some intention of going to Austrailia, and we took a room in Camden Town. 

"In part of this house was a Brother and Sister Taylor who belonged to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  My husband and I were invited to go and hear the (new doctorine as we thought) Gospel, and the first time I was a little doubtful of its truth, but my husband read the works, and Sister Taylor preached to me, and in two weeks, we were baptized in Tentonvill Baths, London, by Elder William Booths, November 23, 1847 and confirmed in the church on 27th by Elder John Banks."

1 comment:

  1. This is quite the resume. Our youth spend longer in school, get less of an education, and then don't want or know how to work. I don't want to go back in time, but I think we've lost some things.

    ReplyDelete