Thursday, September 19, 2013

Day 264, September 19

Last week our area was hit by torrential rains.  The Big Thompson River flooded, spillinig mud onto the flood plain.  A member of the church found his basement partially filled with mud.   Because he is a good man, he checked on neighbors and found that two of them had their basements completley filled with mud.

He called church authorities.  Within a short time, 40 men and women showed up at his home and those of his neighbors.  These stalwart members arrived with shovels and buckets and power washers and anything else they thought might be needed, including strong backs and willing hearts.  They worked tirelessly for hour upon hour, mucking out basements one bucket at a time in a bucket brigade.

I know of this, not because I was one of these valiant people but because my husband Larry was.  He came home bone tired and covered with mud.  I have never been more proud of him or of the church members.

So, for today, I am grateful for those who heed the call to serve.

1 comment:

  1. This brought tears to my eyes. How wonderful that so many, including Dad, were willing and able to help a friend in need.

    ReplyDelete