Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Day 278, October 5

Yesterday I wrote about achieving dreams and reaching for stars. In re-reading it, I was afraid that it sounded idealistic, even naive. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Living our dreams and reaching for stars takes work. Hard work. Back-breaking work. Heart-wrenching work. Tear-jerking work. What are your dreams and stars? What work have you had to put in to make them come true?
In my writing, I have taken classes, sent in thousands (literally) of submissions, and worked to improve my craft by practicing. And practicing. And practicing. Still, I receive a discouraging number of rejections. Last week alone, I received twelve rejections. I thought about giving up writing, turning my attention and energies to something else--anything else. I realized I couldn't. Writing is my dream. It is my unreachable stars. And so I keep trying.
I know I've written about this in earlier posts; this is one of those recurring themes in my blog: dreams and what it takes to make them come true.
Dreams come in all shapes and sizes. Is your dream painting a beautiful picture? Is it to play a piano concerto flawlessly? Is it to raise a loving family? Find your dream and then go after it with everything you have.
So, for today, I am grateful for the work it takes to make dreams come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment