Friday, October 21, 2011

Day 294, October 21

Recently, a frieind shared with me a letter she received from her son who is serving a mission for our church. In it, he wrote that he was totally happy, a condition which he ascribed to counting his blessings and to doing exactly what the Lord wanted him to be doing at this time in his life.
What a profound insight from this young man.
Some of us who are much older are still trying to assimilate this lesson into our lives. (By "some of us," I mean me.) When I am grateful, when I am obeying the Lord, I am happier. No doubt about it. Why can't I remember this?
On those days when I struggle to get up in the mornings, when I struggle to get going and then keep going, I can nearly always trace it back to indulging in feelings of self-pity, of focusing on what's wrong in my life. Even knowing that, I still fall into patterns of self-defeating behavior.
So, for today, I am grateful for the wisdom of a missionary.

1 comment:

  1. Why is it that we often fall into these traps? Glad to hear that this missionary is loving what he is doing and is happy.

    ReplyDelete