Saturday, October 8, 2011

Day 281, October 8

"Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all."--Stanley Horowitz
Don't you love the imagery in this quote? It brings to life the seasons, painting them with both verve and poetry.
I live in Loveland, Colorado, where we enjoy all the seasons. Whenever I try to decide which season I prefer, I am stumped. Each has beauty; each has its own appeal.
Isn't that the way in our lives? Our seasons last longer than the three months assigned to each of nature's seasons. Our seasons encompass years. Some of us spend more time in the childrearing season; others linger in the empty nest season. What is important that we cherish each of them.
I spent a good deal of my life wishing away parts of my seasons. When I was a child, I couldn't wait to turn a teenager; when I was a teenager, I couldn't wait until I was officially an adult, and so on.
Now, looking back, I wish I could relive some of those seasons, to capture those sweet times with my children as babies, as toddlers, as teens. (Well, I may not spend too much time wishing to relive my children's teen years!) Isn't this as futile as fast-forwarding through the seasons? Why am I not content to enjoy the season I am currently in? This is the season of watching my children choose careers and mates, of savoring moments with my grandchildren, of developing my talents.
So, for today, I am grateful for this season of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment