Monday, October 10, 2011

Day 283, Octiober 10

Yesterday, our ward (in the Mormon Church, congregations are referred to as wards) held a fast for a member who is in the hospital, praying for the Lord's healing powers upon our friend.
Fasting serves several purposes. As we go without food, we become more sensitive to the Spirit and its influence. In addition, we donate what we would have spent on the missed meals to the Church to help those in need. What a marvelous system the Lord has devised to allow those with surplus to help those who lack basic necessities.
I struggle with fasting. I struggle giving up food for even this limited time. So, when I participate in a fast, I am actutely aware of hunger pangs gnawing at my stomach even as I work to listen to the whisperings of the Spirit. The Spirit works in quiet and occasionally unusual ways. It sometimes tells me things I don't want to hear. After all, who wants to hear that she is selfish and unforgiving? But I listen and try (or try to try--sometimes that is all I can manage) to mend my ways.
So, for today, I am grateful for blessings of the fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment