Sunday, April 15, 2012

Day 102, April 15

Yesterday I wrote about a friend driving me to and from physical therapy. I didn't finish the story.

Though she struggles with stairs, my friend, Marilyn, insisted upon seeing me to the door. When I unlocked the front door, our kitty, Harley, streaked out. My friend and I scrambled to catch her, but she was too quick for us. Marilyn went after Harley, caught her, then handed her off to me.

I haven't carried Harley since before my surgery and gasped a bit under her weight. Marilyn took my elbow, and, with my free hand, I took hers. We were quite literally holding each other up. Together, the three of us made it inside. I scolded Harley and thanked Marilyn. Again.

For those few moments, when we teetered on the steps, I wondered if we would make it or crash to the ground. Supporting each other, we made it.

Isn't that the way it is with most of life? We can't make it on our own, but, together, we can overcome. Anything. Another friend painted a beautiful word picture when she described all of us holding each other up, elbows locked, legs braced, against the winds of life. I feebly joked that, with my weakened hip, I wouldn't be much good at supporting someone else.

She said, "That's why you have someone on either side."

This I know for sure: with elbows locked and legs braced, friends can and will triumph.

3 comments:

  1. It's when we stand together that we stand strong. When I look at those around me, I feel a very real sense of responsibility not to fall down. I don't want to knock them over, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish there was a "like" button for these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the fat cat should go on a diet and get some exercise. Put her on a leash and take her on a walk.

    ReplyDelete