Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Day 98, April 11

Today's subject is an indelicate one. For those who are at all squeamish, I suggest you considering skipping it.

Women of a certain age occasionally develop unwanted facial hair. There. I've said it. These hairs have a habit of appearing out of nowhere.

I have one hair that shows up on my left cheek. It will hibernate for months at a time, then appear fully grown, two feet in length. Do you know what it's like to have a two foot long hair sticking out of your cheek?

Not pretty.

In a way, this hair is like stubborn sins. They, too, will hibernate for months, even years at a time. Without warning, they, too, will find their way to the surface. I shouldn't be surprised, but I am.

So, I patiently, or not so patiently, working on plucking them out. Like weeds that grow with pernicious tenacity, they resist my best efforts. Sometimes I achieve success. Too often, though, they beat me and I resolve to try again.

This I know for sure: that two foot long hair is a good, if ugly, reminder of the truly unwanted things in my life.

1 comment:

  1. I have a hair on my chinny, chin, chin. It grows two hairs, actually, and not always at the same time. One is coarse, and I feel it right away. However, it is clear in color, so no one else notices before I pluck it out. The other is soft, but a very dark brown. If I'm not looking at myself too closely, that one can rapidly become embarrassing. I suppose I have many different types of sins as well.

    ReplyDelete