Thursday, April 12, 2012

Day 99, April 12

A dear friend has been going through chemotherapy and related side effects. In the last two weeks, she has had to be hospitalized twice, once for an infection and another time for kidney stones.

Despite all her trials, she has still found time to think about me. Twice, during my recovery, she has visited, bringing beautiful flowers and plants. She sends cards, calls, and works to keep up my spirits.

When I protested that she was doing too much, she said she felt better when thinking about others. What a wise and thoughtful formula for living. What if we all did that? Would not out homes, our communities, indeed, our very world be a better place?

Chances are you are like me and know at least one person who is so totally wrapped up in his or her self that they fail to look beyond the confines of their own circumstances. No one particularly wants to be around this individual. The sad part is that, occasionally, I have been this person. I have been the woman completely consumed by my own problems and worries. What miserable company I must have been during these periods.

This I know for sure: if we look beyond ourselves, we will find a world filled with beautiful people.

No comments:

Post a Comment