Saturday, April 21, 2012

Day 108, April 21

The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.
Coco Chanel

Coco Chanel was a woman before her time. From her clothes to her success in business at a time when women had little financial power to her outspokenness, she exuded an in-your-face honesty and vitality that remain an example for us today.

How many times do I squelch giving voice to what I believe because I fear offending someone, saying the wrong thing, making myself unpopular? Too many, I'm afraid.

Though I'm not shy in voicing my opinion in a written venue, I am reticent at giving voice to my beliefs in a personal or social situation. Please don't misunderstand. I'm not advocating being obnoxious. What I am advocating is standing up for what is right, no matter what the circumstances.

On one occasion, I heard a woman excuse a dishonesty by saying, "It's just this once." Others around her nodded.

What she did was not only dishonest, it was against the law. And yet I said nothing. Should I have spoken up?

Absolutely.

This I know for sure: when we say nothing, we give our approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment