Friday, June 1, 2012

Day 149, June 1

I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all, but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess. -- Martin Luther

The older I grow, the more I understand how very unimportant material things are.  Don't misunderstand--I like pretty things, pretty clothes, beautiful purses, nice furniture.  But I realize that they give fleeting pleasure.  More, they bring no true happiness or joy.  Those are found in family, in friends, in faith.  They are found in creating, in serving, in loving.

I could have saved myself much angst decades ago when I worried over our family's finances if I had put material things in their proper place:  at the bottom of the rung.

This I know for sure:  material things have their place, but they will never make the Top 10.




1 comment:

  1. A funny moment from the movie "It's a Wonderful Life" is when George Bailey is first talking to Clarence the angel. Clarence has told his that they don't use money in heaven, and George mutters oh, of course you don't. Then with sudden intensity, George turns back to him and says emphatically, "It comes in pretty handy down here!" George, of course, eventually comes to see it your way, but I have to admit to being on George's side of the issue every now and then.

    ReplyDelete