Friday, June 15, 2012

Day 163, June 15

In talking with a couple of friends recently, we all expressed our desire to be appreciated.  Another conversation with my husband reinforced that need.  Many years ago, Maslow, a psychologist, outlined a hierachy of needs.  Aside from the basic physical needs, the need to be appreciated tops the list.

I wonder why we deny each other that all-important need.  Why are words of appreciation so hard to give?  It doesn't seem to matter whether the venue be the family, the workplace, church, or other social groups, too many of us withhold those words and actions that tell another, "I appreciate your efforts.  I appreciate YOU."

And so I ask again:  Why do we parcel out these words with stingy hands and selfish hearts?  Could it be because we fear that in giving to others, we  will take something from ourselves?

I've asked myself that question and have not come up with a good answer.  At least, not one that is palatable.

This I know for sure:  if appreciation were more freely given, our lives, our world, would be infinitely better.

1 comment:

  1. That's so true, Jane. Now what I want to know about myself (do I really want to know?) is why I don't express my appreciation more readily.

    ReplyDelete