Thursday, June 7, 2012

Day 155, June 7

Resist much, obey little.   Walt Whitman

When I first read this, I wasn't sure about it.  After all, aren't we taught to obey the Father in all things?  As I thought about it and pondered over it more, however, I realized that if I pay attention to the first directive, "Resist much," that I will have little need to obey.  (You may have a different interpretation of this.)

If I resist the urge to gossip about an acquaintance, I will have no need to obey a rule from my childhood about not talking behind someone's back.

If I resist the urge to take something that doesn't belong to me, I will have no need to obey the eighth commandment.  (Actually, I don't have the urge to steal, but you get the idea.)

"Resist much."  I think the Lord would applaud the sentiment.

This I know for sure:  resisting temptation takes constant vigilance. 

1 comment:

  1. You're right, I would have read that differently, but I appreciate your view. Although, I think that when we resist that much evil, we are obeying. Sorry, Walt.

    ReplyDelete