Thursday, June 21, 2012

Day 169, June 21

"People from a planet without flowers would think we must be mad with joy the whole time to have such things about us."--Iris Murdoch

I love flowers, but I rarely take the time to simply gaze at them and appreciate, to inihale their fragrance, to enjoy the sheer perfection of one of the Father's most magnificent creations.  And I wonder how many other things I neglect to appreciate.  Do I pay homage to the sky, with its broad expanse of blue and the infinite variety of colors it offers at sunrise and sunset?  Do I view the Rocky Mountains which provide a backdrop for our home with awe and wonder?  Or do I pass them off with little notice or regard? 

My adopted state of Colorado is one of the most beautiful places in the world, yet I give little attention to the natural bounties and wonders with which it abounds.  After living there for 37 years, I have come to accept and expect the brilliance of the sun which rarely fails to shine.  (How can I be so complacent when I need the sun in the same way I need air and water and food?)  I take for granted the brilliance of autumn with colors ranging from russet to scarlet, from primrose to amber and the tender green awakening of spring.

This I know for sure:  flowers ... indeed, all of the Father's creations ... deserve our homage.  It goes without saying that the Lord deserves our unwavering gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment