Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Day 174, June 26

"Act as if what you do makes a difference.  It does."--William James

Do you ever feel that nothing you do makes a difference?  To anyone?  I do.  In fact I feel that way quite frequently.  I don't like the feeling, but there it is.

My children are raised.  My grandchildren are busy with their own lives, and two of them live far away, making it even harder for me to be involved in their lives.  What is a woman who spent all of her adult life being a full time mom supposed to do?  It's question that has plagued me for some time.

I look for ways to make a difference.  And, too often, fail.  Sometimes I'm tempted to quit my puny efforts and just accept that I have nothing to offer any more.

Then something happened.  A friend was waiting for potentially bad news.  I couldn't affect the news one way or the other, but I could write her a note.  I did.  A day later, I received an email from her thanking me for the note.  That small thing lifted my spirits.  It turns out that the news was good, and I rejoiced with her.

This I know for sure:  I can make a difference, if I care enough to try.



3 comments:

  1. You made a difference by coming to hear Reynna's talk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a difference each day, simply by writing this blog and giving us new insights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make a difference EVERY.SINGLE.DAY by composing words and sentences and thoughts on this and your other (?) blog. I read it, it is a break in my day at work, my Mom reads it......hi Mom (Delma that would be you) she will never comment......she's a blog-stalker or blurker....my friend Val reads it, you're wonderfu.

    ReplyDelete