Saturday, June 30, 2012

Day 178, June 30

Our earth is a great teacher.  It eaches patience.  It teaches change.  Perhaps most importantly, it teaches the law of the harvest.  We are months away from the harvest season, but those who make their living from the land have long since prepared the ground, planted their crops, and are even now tending them.

We are all involved in some kind of harvest.  My 12 weeks of physical therapy were a kind of preparing and planting for me.  The harvest came when I could walk without pain, when I felt my body grow stronger and more resilient. 

Writers harvest the rewards of their many hours sitting at the computer when they hold a newly published book in their hands.  Business owners realize the results of their work when they see their business grow.

We humans are frequently an impatient lot and sometimes are tempted to take shortcuts.  We want to lose weight by popping a pill rather than putting in the hard work of exercising.  We want to have perfect relationships without working at them.  And so on.

This I know for sure:  the law of the harvest cannot be circumvented.

No comments:

Post a Comment