Friday, June 8, 2012

Day 156, June 8

What she was finding also was how one book led to another, doors kept opening wherever she turned and the days weren't long enough for the reading she wanted to do.

Alan Bennett

It's no secret that I love words.  As a lover of words, I also love books.  I can not imagine a life without books, without the worlds they open.  In books, I am an explorer, a scientist, an astronaut, a ballet dancer, a mountain climber.   I am unlikely to be any of these things in life, but I am through reading.

As a child, I devoured books, checking out dozens each week from the public library.  It was a ritual for my mother, sister, and me to head to the library every Saturday and find new worlds to explore through books.  I read them all--LITTLE WOMEN, NANCY DREW, DANA GIRL Mysteries, and a myriad of others.  My reading tastes matured as I grew.  As a young mother, I tucked a book in the car for those inevitable waiting periods at dentist and doctor appointments for my children. Today my reading runs the gamut from historcal to suspense to romance to non-fiction.  I travel with a book (or three) in  my purse.

This I know for sure:  books are worlds to be opened.

No comments:

Post a Comment