Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Day 175, June 27

"Toughness is in the soul and spirt, not in muscles."  -- Albert Kamus

In previous blogs, I"ve written about going through physical therapy for my new hip.  I worked on strengthening the muscles that had atrophied, and, to some extent, succeeded.  I was pleased with my progress.

No physical exercises, however, can build my soul and spirit.  That is a more elusive  job.  My soul and spirit are often weary.  And I think that I can't take another setback, another crisis, another blow.  My life is no different than that of others:  we all have problems, we all face hardships. 

Building muscles in the soul and spirit requires a humility of spirit, a willingness to listen to the Spirit.   Those qualities are so much more difficult to work on, at least for me, than pushing weights or doing stretching exercises.

This I know for sure:  a tough body is good; a tough soul and spirit are even better.

1 comment: