Monday, June 25, 2012

Day 173, June 25

"The question you have to ask yourself is:  How can I make people better as a result of connecting with me?"

I found this in a book on relationships.  Often, we think of relationships in terms of what someone can do for us.  It's a natural and human reaction.  "What's in it for me?" is a common question, whether or not we say it aloud.

Honestly, I don't often think of how I can make people better as a result of connecting with me.  And isn't that a shame?  My thoughts and feelings are tied up in myself, a very small subject indeed.  I am too busy thinking, "How can this person help me?" rather than "How is being with me helping someone else?"

What are the ways we can make people better by associating with us?

We can teach them something they didn't know.
We can help them feel better about themselves.
We can share a skill or talent with them.
We can listen.
We can provide a shoulder to cry on.

Doubtless you can think of others.

This I know for sure:  when we ask ourselves this question, we grow closer to becoming like the Savior.


2 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful, and difficult, question you started with. I suspect that more people don't take it seriously because most people, despite all the focus on self, don't really have a good idea of their divine nature and individual worth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great question to ask.

    ReplyDelete