Sunday, June 17, 2012

Day 165, June 17

Yesterday, our son Rob and his sweetheart Jenny were sealed for time and all eternity in the Bountiful, Utah Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  As in most important things, the ceremony was beautifully simple, with the officiator pronouncing blessings upon them if they remain true to their covenants.

As I reflect back on the day, I recall what my husband frequently says  about a Mormon wedding:  everything important happens in the temple; the rest  is just a party. 

I have been to ultra-fancy weddings, where the parents and bride and groom spent tens of thousands of dollars upon impressive receptions. The ceremonies were indeed beautiful with china and silver, cyrstal and damask linens, fine food and champagne (non-Mormon).  One wedding in particular stands out as  extravagantly lavish.  Unfortunately, the marriage did not live up to the wedding and ended within a year.

It struck me as especially sad, not so much in the waste of money but in the idea that the wedding was more important than the marriage. And I wonder if this is a symbol of our current culture, that form is more important than substance, that display of wealth (or power or social standing or whatever) counts more than keeping vows.

This I know for sure:  in the end, substance trumps form every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment