Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Day 181, July 3

Today is my Aunt Mae's 88th birthday.  Please forgive me for writing about her once more.  I can't seem to help myself.  She continues to inspire me, to movtivate me to do better, to be better.

At a time of life when many people are content to "rest upon their laurels," Aunt Mae keeps serving.  Anyone.  And everyone.  Not just her family, but those in her church, her community, her town.   What an example for me, for all who know her.

Sometimes, I want to say "I'm too old" to serve, to create, to do anything worthwhile.  And then I think of Aunt Mae and others.  President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Lattery-day Saints Gordon B. Hinckler was sustained as Prophet and President when he was well into his 80s and served in that position until his death at 97, nearly 98.  That leaves me with little excuse.

This I know for sure: those who ignore their age in favor of service are among the noble and great ones.




1 comment:

  1. This brings to mind a quote I love, "Those who rest upon their laurels are wearing them on the wrong end." I think I've said it before, but it's still true. I love your Aunt Mae!

    ReplyDelete