Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Day 188, July 10

"To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness."--Bertrand Ruissell

How many times I have longed for something, a trinket,, a talent, a character trait, and bemoaned my fate that it was not mine?  Would I be happier if I possessed this thing?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  A new purse will give momentary pleasure; a talent will bring satisfaction; a worthy character trait will doubtless enrich my life.

If I had that thing I longed for, perhaps I would not strive as much as I do, perhaps I would hurt myself with its possession.  Or, worse, perhaps I would hurt another.

This I know for sure:  being without everything I want strengthens me in indefinable ways.


3 comments:

  1. A very wise and insightful quote and post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an intriguing quote! As happens so often, your blog made me stop and think. Thank you, not just for this post, but for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Your blog is an important part of my life, as are you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great quote. I'm with Amanda, your blog often makes me stop and think and say hmmm. I've got lots to ponder on.

    ReplyDelete