Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Day 182, July 4

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell.

I have always loved this quote and have, in fact, used it before in this blog.  On this July 4th, my thoughts turn to our Founding Fathers and others who gave their all, including their lives, to the building of America.  My thoughts also are with the men and women who serve in our armed forces today.  Once again, they give their all. 

I came of age during the Vietnam War era.  It was common then to disparge those who served our country, to denigrate their sacrifice.  It hurt my heart then, as it does now. 

This I know for sure:  those who serve our country serve us in ways we cannot imagine.


No comments:

Post a Comment