Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Day 189, July 11

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about shoes, how one could tell a lot about an individual by his/her shoes.  I believe the same goes for homes.  I have visited some houses that were decorated with meticulous attention to detail, lavish in their use of design and materials.  I have visited other houses that were modest in the extreme, but clean and uncluttered.

Neither extreme is good or bad.  What matters is whether or not a house is a home. 

Home has different definitions for different people.  For me, home equals love and family, safety and refuge.  It is a place to put my feet up and my head down.  Our home is modest; however, I believe it reflects our values.  Pictures of family are intersprinkled with pictures of the Savior, for I cannot think of one without the other. 

The new room we added on is comfortably decorated, with room for grandchildren to play, a table that can be extended for big gatherings, and filled with books. Lots and lots of books.  For me, a house is not a home without books.

This I know for sure:  whatever its size or decor, a house is only a home when filled with love.



1 comment: